Saturday, December 17, 2016

Now I'm waist deep in this....

THIS WEEK HAS BEEN CRAZY! SO much has happened that each day goes by super fast but it feels like it's been weeks since I last emailed. Ok meat and potatoes dake (i.e. "only" or "just" meat and potatoes).


Mon: Went Bowling with the zone, ate all you can eat Yakiniku (grilled meat dishes) and had an awesome lesson with our French investigator at Starbucks.

Tue:  Had our last DTM (district training meeting) where we got our transfer calls and announced them.  (Every 6 weeks the missionaries find out if they are going to transfer to another area and/or if they are going to be assigned to a new companion.  Zach is staying in Sapporo, but is getting a new companion.)  Then we had SUSHI. Then dendo (missionary work), and Eikawa (English class).

Wed: This morning Elder Larson was saying bye to investigators. We made 2 new baptismal dates, and went to the top of Moiwa Ropeway.  (This is a tram just a block from Zach's apartment that takes people to the top of Mount Moiwa.  All the venues for the 1972 Winter Olympic Games are within walking distance of Zach's apartment.  Some are a long walk, but still....)

Thursday: TRANSFERS: We missed Elder Larson's bus by like 2 min. BUT, We had some investigators there to say bye to Elder Larson. Then I stayed with some other Elders while I waited for my new companion to arrive. My NEW COMPANION IS...Elder Isobe!! Elder Maloy's Dad. (A "Dad" refers to a trainer - so Elder Larson was Elder Harvey's "Dad."  Elder Maloy was Elder Harvey's companion in the MTC, so Zach now has his MTC companion's Dad as a companion.  Got that?)  It was hilarious when we got the call because we kept saying I was going to go to Abashiri with Elder Isobe, but he came to me. 

Fri: We did our weekly planning and found 2 new investigators. 

Sat: AHH BLIZZARD! At any given point during this day I was walking on a foot of ice. Oh just so you know we only stop dendo if it seems like we will legitimately die by going outside. We visited a bunch of people, handed out a Chinese Book of Mormon, and "borrowed" someone's shovels to shovel them out, their neighbor out, and our investigator out. We asked (for permission to borrow the shovels) once they got home though. 

Sun: We had an amazing church block. We had an investigator come and had an amazing team up lesson with the young men's class. Then we spent pretty much all day trying to get to a member's house for an AMAZING goach (dinner appointment). At one point I was literally waist deep in snow. We also got stockings which was so nice of them. This family really cares about their missionaries and we could feel that. Not just by gifts, but through the Spirit I felt the strong love they have for us. (In a separate e-mail Zach said they had another blizzard on Sunday and " I don't think I will see the ground for a long time."  It snows there almost every day.) 

LOVE Y'ALL
Elder Harvey

SUSHI!!!!



I can't believe I ate all that.


Japanese bowling and more food


The climate is affecting my complexion



The bottom and top of the Moiwa Ropeway



(I [Zach's dad] had found the Moiwa Ropeway on Google Earth before I even knew where Zach was going to serve, so it was pretty cool when I found out that his apartment and the church were just a block away from the bottom of the tram.  I've been telling him I wanted him to go to the top and take pictures, so in the first video his reference to fulfilling my wish is a direct reference to that.  The view looks over the entire city of Sapporo.  The Olympic venue sites are on the back side of these mountains.  In the second video, Zach and his friends say hello and goodbye.)




An early Christmas with a fantastic family!!






No comments:

Post a Comment